Sunday, April 30, 2006

In Which It Came to Pass...

You people were right about that Irish book. Cahill makes history very readable. I don't agree with all of his conclusions, but I'd much rather read this sort of colorful, opinionated account than some dry factual record. I've had several ideas for other I books (not to be confused with iBooks), but the latest one to catch my attention is Indecision. The author is doing a reading at Powell's tomorrow night, which sounds to me like a fairly entertaining way to spend a Monday evening.

It's been quite a weekend. (Shoutout to my contra homies: tomorrow's forecast, 100% chance of ibuprofen.) I guess the most remarkable thing to happen was that my church had its final service today. I've been going there for about eight years, sometimes (I readily admit) more enthusiastically than others, and for me, the strongest emotion accompanying this closure was relief. Central had become a mere shadow of the church I joined in '98. I felt like we had all sat vigil by its hospital bed for ages, praying for some sort of miraculous revival, owing it too much to want to let it go. Now, at last, the plug has been pulled. There is great loss to be dealt with, and grieving to be done; but also, we can finally stop hanging out at the hospital and get on with our lives.

For others, though, the loss was more devastating. There were a lot of tears shed this morning, a lot of voices breaking with sobs. It was hard to see these people I love in so much pain. But to watch them offering praise to God out of the midst of their grief was one of the most beautiful things I've witnessed in a long time.

Indigo Girls - Reunion

2 comments:

Kristi said...

I grew up at Central - it was a pillar of consistency in my family and my young life. Although my family moved on to ministry in other churches many years ago, we all feel the loss. PUMP, Metro and your extended church family are praying for all who are grieving and transitioning through this.

Anonymous said...

Kristi is right on. Her words are my words.

Lindsey, we'd love to see you at PUMP! Come to our life group Wednesdays!