Friday, October 19, 2007

Here Comes the Coast Guard!

We've been in the news lately. Did you see us? If not, that's probably for the best, as accounts thus far have all been more inaccurate than not. Here's a prime example. It contains an average of one inaccuracy per sentence. For example: "foundering" means "taking on water and sinking," neither of which was even a little bit true.

Here's what really happened:
Early the morning of the 16th, the weather off the Oregon coast went from really unpleasant to downright nasty. Swells were up to 20 feet, and winds were gusting up to 50 knots. Though both engines were fully operational, the Hawaiian Chieftain is a relatively lightweight vessel with a draft of only five feet, and she was unable to make headway against the wind. With no sea anchor aboard, our captain was occupied with trying to keep the vessel from broaching (i.e. veering broadside to the swells). The forecast coming over the radio called for still worse weather in the next few hours.

There was really only one logical thing to do at this point: call on the Coast Guard. They came out to assess the situation, and by the time they arrived, the weather had calmed temporarily (thus the report of merely 14 foot seas and 35 knot winds). They agreed to give us a tow into the nearest harbor, which happened to be Tillamook, and there we are even now lying low until the forecast looks a little friendlier.

It's simple enough in retrospect, but while it was all going on it was much more confusing. I was awakened by our steward at 8 a.m. (midway between watches): "Put on your foulies and harness and stand by for all hands on deck." Weak with nausea and exhaustion, I struggled into my foul-weather gear and harness, then numbly donned the lifejacket handed to me, trying really really hard not to wonder what was going on.

On deck, the world was cold wet chaos. I planted myself on a quarterdeck bench next to a couple of similarly dazed shipmates and tried to wrap my mind around what was going on. The captain was whipping the wheel back and forth. Several of the crew were struggling to rig the giant yellow tarp as a makeshift sea anchor. The steward was getting everyone into big orange vests. Eventually the salt spray and adrenaline brought back my wits, and I was able to make some bumbling attempts at usefulness.

The waves gradually began to settle a bit, and the next big swell I was bracing myself for finally just didn't come. The Coast Guard radioed that they had a visual, and eventually we spotted them too, zipping through the waves in their rough-and-ready vessel. As they drew alongside to send heaving lines, a ray of sunlight burst out improbably through the heavy cloud cover and radiated a brilliant rainbow against the gray sky.

And so we were towed into Tillamook Bay. The waters in the harbor were calm and the sky was blue, which made it seem as though everything we had just been through was merely a ridiculous nightmare. Residents of the town raced down to the dock to see what strange vessel the Coasties had brought in. (One of the Guardsmen had radioed ahead: "Tell my wife to come down to the dock with the camera.") And I called up my aunt and uncle who live in Tillamook, and they invited the entire crew over to their place for pizza and showers and much-needed rest.

So we're not in Fran Sancisco. We're not even in Newport, which is where we hoped to be before the storm hit. But we're safe, and very grateful to be so. And as soon as the weather clears, we'll be headed south again.

I've posted this MP3 before, but this is the song that popped into my head the first moment I sighted the Coast Guard vessel:
Tennis - Here Comes the Coast Guard!

6 comments:

evannichols said...

I'll say it so nobody else has to and we can be done with it: Any port in a storm.

Glad to hear you're all well, and there was no foundering, broaching or any other unfortunate event that can happen at sea! Sounds like quite the Adventure, and I expect that future retellings will have increasingly dramatic embellishments. ;-)

I hope the weather clears soon, and you can be on your way. Safe Journeys...

Unknown said...

Yay for the Coast Guard! When you said you didn't have a sea anchor, my heart got all seize-y.

I've been in situations where the wind and water were having their own way, and you suddenly have a very different set of goals than you had twenty minutes ago. It's scary. It's hard to not feel helpless, despite the objective fact that you're helping yourself very hard.

Glad the Chieftain came through, glad all of you came through with her, and glad that it was a situation that the Coast Guard could solve. :-D

mwhybark said...

glad to hear everyone's well. Damn.

Gaelon said...

Hunter Finds Skeletal Remains? Now that is an interesting story.

I am glad to hear you are OK and the story ends with proper hygiene and a good meal. This is something that Hemingway should have learned. He could have been a good writer...

I keeping with my infuriating habit to trump a good story with one of my own, you will have to ask me about my experience with typhoons in the South China Sea.

Anonymous said...

The 'Chieftain retrieved her dock lines and got under weigh at 9AM on Monday (10/22). Weather prognosis looked good, with the promise of clearing weather courtesy of a stationary high over much of the Oregon Coast.

The local newspaper also posted a complementary article at: http://tillamookheadlightherald.com/main.asp?SectionID=8&SubSectionID=8&ArticleID=8264

Unknown said...

I'm glad you and the Chieftan are safe. I can think of more interesting harbors, but at least you got showers and pizza. Nothing seems too bad when you have showers and pizza.