Sunday, October 19, 2008

New Start in the Old Place.

I am back in Portland now, as of yesterday. It feels good. The amazingly gorgeous weather that has followed me all the way from Maui to Chicago to the UK to Nashville continues to dog my steps. (I'm bracing myself for the backlash.)

So I've decided not to write a novel this November. I have a lot of catching up to do in pretty much every area of my life, including unpacking half my possessions from cardboard boxes, including starting a new job, including hanging out with you, if you live in Portland. Including books I want to read, events I want to attend, local places I want to visit, projects I want to resume. NaNoWriMo requires you to put your normal life on hold for a month, and I've had mine on hold for the past four. Right now, I just want to work out what the new normal is.

Chris Baty sent me an e-mail letting me know I'm letting down the entire human race, especially him, by not participating. I hate to disappoint the guy... but since I have pretty much sat on the past three completed manuscripts, I suspect my non-participation will dismay no one else except those who are participating in NaNo. To you, my friends, I apologize, and salute you.

I am currently in the process of writing up a day-by-day account of my trip to the UK, which I will publish here, starting tomorrow. Fair warning: if you're reading my blog on LJ, these posts will clutter up your friends page with giant blocks of text.

This week I also plan to begin catching up on blink twice (I'm still taking photos every single day, just not posting them), and also my regular ol' photo collection which resides on a popular photo hosting site. (If you don't know about the latter, e-mail me for the link; I'm still leery of putting it here.) It's kind of a big project. Heh. I do not miss the old days of being stingy with film at all.

Oh yeah, and comics, of course!

5 comments:

alissa j. said...

i live in portland and want to hang out with you!
details soon about something happening this friday if you don't already have that booked.

evannichols said...

Welcome back! :-)

I fully support you in your Nano decision (despite the Global Disappointment implications). Your point about putting life on hold is well said.

I hope you enjoy the return to your Portland lifestyle as much as you've enjoyed your wandering one! See you around town! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Welcome home!

All day yesterday we were saying, "Do you think she's back? When do you think she'll SAY she's back? When do you think she'll let us hang out with her?"

But you posted! And that's as good as hanging your lace curtains!

Nicole Maki said...

Welcome home!

I'm pretty sure I won't be doing NaNo this year either. I have a fun idea but I'm not sure if it's the right time for me to push everything aside and write.

upsidedown cat said...

hey, i live in portland too! and would love to hang out sometime!