Sunday, November 02, 2008

I Fail at Internet. Also: My House Hates Me!

I am having some trouble readjusting to the 40-hour work week. How do you people get anything done? Actually, I know how I got things done in my last 40-hour-a-week job. I stayed up too late, and I ate a lot of instant food (which wasn't necessarily meeting my nutritional needs). Now I am trying not to do those things anymore, and between that and the 40 hours, my internet output has dwindled to zeroes (without any ones).

This bothers me. A lot. Besides the several things I have recently promised (and then neglected) to share with you here, there have been several events this week I have felt a dire urgency to write about. Having the desire to write, and then not writing, is really bad for someone who fancies herself a writer-type. It's like being in the mood to get some exercise, but not doing anything about it: you miss opportunities and discourage good habit-forming, and your muscles atrophy.

Also! I have not caught up on your blogs, comics, and other creative internet-based output. Still. So please, bear with me while I struggle with realigning my priorities. Time management has always been the hobgoblin of my little mind, and...

Stop the presses: my stove just up'n died. Which reminds me that the third of the month is the official day for things to break in my house (I'm serious, it's uncanny). So the stove is several hours ahead of the game. This makes me angry enough to give up my posture of penitent self-blame in favor of a rabid conspiracy theory involving not only all the appliances in my household, but also the U.S. Gummint (which has given me a big fat homework assignment due Tuesday).

Maybe I'll make a comic about it tomorrow. Because the third of the month is also the day for making comics. In case you forgot.

2 comments:

evannichols said...

When I went from a 10-hour week at the bookstore back to 40-hour weeks at BHFT, I asked the same question. :-\

I trust you will find a balance for your work/internet/food/social time. And I'm sorry to hear of your stove's demise. I suspect it's your house's passive-aggressive way of complaining that you were gone so long.

Thanks for the 3 on the 3rd reminder! I hope something interesting happens to me so I can make a comic about it!

nokomis said...

I know what you mean about the 40 hour work week. Now that I have adjusted I feel bitter towards those who do not have the same scheduling difficulties that I do... I know it's bad.

Hey, I also wanted to let you know that you once said that I should put my tree design on a shirt and I thought "naw, that's too hard" but lo and behold.... I followed your advice and thought you should know:
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5252732&section_id=5248680