Thursday, January 01, 2009

A Resolution, and a List.

The weather looks suspiciously similar to yesterday's, but I have it on good authority that this is an All New Year. That's kind of an exciting thought, isn't it?

Traditionally this is a time when people blog about their resolutions. I think resolutions are kind of like birthday candle wishes: the more you talk about them, the less likely they are to come true. However, there is one resolution I would like to make public. In just two days, I am going to return to the stoic discipline of Three on the Third.

Yes.

Another bloggy tradition for this time of year is end-of-the-year lists. I have actually compiled two of them for your amusement and mine, one for all the movies I watched in 2008, and one for all the books I read. I have also rated them in a completely subjective manner. Here is my rating system:

(1) - I hated it.
(2) - I'm not sure if I liked it.
(3) - I definitely liked it.
(4) - I loved it.
(5) - I'm sort of obsessed with it.

What I Watched in 2008
(italicized titles indicate movies I've seen before)
The Truth About Cats and Dogs (1996) (2)
The Water Horse (2007) (2)
Darjeeling Limited (2007) (4)
Across the Universe (2007) (3)
Paprika (2006) (3)
The Other Boleyn Girl (2008) (3)
Charlie Wilson's War (2007) (3)
Horton Hears a Who (2008) (2)
In Bruges (2008) (3)
Juno (2007) (4)
I'm Reed Fish (2007) (2)
Hellboy (2004) (4)
Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull (2008) (3)
Once (2007) (3)
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World
(5)
3:10 to Yuma (2007) (4)
Sex in the City (2008) (1)
Dan in Real Life (2007) (3)
Super Troopers (2001) (3)
27 Dresses (2008) (3)
Fool's Gold (2008) (2)
Hellboy II: The Golden Army (2008) (4)
War (2007) (2)
The Simpsons Movie (2007) (3)
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969) (3)
How to Lose Friends and Alienate People (2008) (2)
The Fall (2008) (4)
Sweeney Todd (2007) (3)
Wu Ji (The Promise) (2005) (3)
Shi Mian Mai Fu (House of Flying Daggers) (4)

Cutthroat Island (1995) (2)
Whale Rider (5)

Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist (3)
Ravenous (4)


The above list accurately indicates that I'm a sucker for pretty pictures. Check in tomorrow for the somewhat underwhelming list of books I read in the past 365 days, which I have padded with annotations to disguise its shortness.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is better than three stars. Did someone drug you at the time? What's wrong with you girl?! Who the hell did you watch that with? It's a buddy film, you don't watch that shit alone!

hhw said...

I'm gonna listen to the Whale Rider soundtrack right now!

evannichols said...

Spider, I'd respectfully submit that there is nothing wrong with Lindsey. You'll note that the number scale refers to how much she enjoyed each movie, not their relative quality. Hence, her ratings are perfectly accurate.

ah said...

Wow, that seems like a lot of movies for you!!

PJS said...

you watched Sex in the city? Did you lose a bet or something?

Anonymous said...

really? whale rider? really? I had the misfortune to see this movie in October... I'm still trying to get back those min. of my life!

I'm glad someone likes it! you go, you!