Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Post I Should've Written Months Ago.

I've been sitting on these plans for over a year now.  Got so comfortable with 'em under my bum that it feels weird to have 'em hatch and walk away chirping.  But here they are (peep! peep!):

I quit my job. I'm still working, but my contract's up the end of June, and I'm not renewing it, and my employer knows that.

End of July, I'm leaving town. Renting the house out.  Gonna travel the country by car and bus and train.  Gonna visit some intentional communities (housing co-ops, ecovillages, organic farms, monasteries, boats) and see how people live there.  Gonna have some adventures.  Gonna write about my adventures.

I'd like the adventure-writing to eventually take the form of a book-shaped manuscript, and with a view to promoting such a manuscript, I'll be starting a second, more professional-looking blog in which to record said adventures.*  I don't particularly want to conglomerate everything I've written here and the persona I'll be promoting there, so this one will remain distinct, scruffy and personal (and irregularly updated).  For friends and e-stalkers only.

I have the roughest of timelines in mind: wandering the West Coast for the first several months, then heading eastward; visiting some places briefly, staying in others for a month or so to get something of a feel for life there.  I envision the whole walkabout as lasting maybe two years.  But it's all very flexible.  I'm entirely willing to get sidetracked by interesting possibilities, and if I get sidetracked by less-interesting necessities, well, that is also an acceptable outcome.  And if the book part doesn't happen, that's okay too.  At least I'll have had some interesting adventures.  Which is really the point.  Or one of the points.

(peep!)

So I've been pretty busy lately, working out details of these plans, and also doing the apparently interminable work of downsizing, and also still working full-time and trying to take good care of myself and get in quality time with local friends while I still can.  It feels like I'm trying to live in the future and the past and the present all at the same time, and giving all of them short shrift.  That's what I've been up to, and it's also my excuse for not writing about this sooner, now that my employer knows and there's no reason to keep it under feathers anymore.

* I've been experiencing some inauspicious writer's block in coming up with a name for this travel blog, or even for the project as a whole. Your suggestions are welcomed.

13 comments:

aaron said...

i've been meaning to tell you i have a friend in florida who recently moved into a community housing type situation. it sounds like it's mostly that she's living with six other people, so i'm not sure if that fits with what you're looking for. also, two years? yipes, i didn't know it was gonna be so long...

aaron said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nicole Maki said...

Your walkabout sounds like an amazing adventure and I'm so happy for you!

When we were more nomadic and moving several times a year I really experienced the feeling of trying to live in the past, present and future all at once. It's hard as everything seems to suffer neglect in the busyness of it all.

Jared B said...

Sounds exciting! I'd definitely be interested in following along online, even though I don't know you personally (just via comments on Nathan and Aaron's GR items).

Kind of reminds me of another story I've been following (another friend-of-a-friend) named Emily who used Kickstarter to raise some money to fund a sailing voyage around the world. She has been chronicling her journey at www.bobbieroundstheworld.com

I look forward to reading your story!

Lindsey said...

Thanks, Nicole! Yeah, I'm trying to simplify my life in a few ways so I won't need to feel spread quite so thin in the future. Maybe that goal is pure fantasy, but I'm going with it for now. :)

Aaron, I'd love to hear more about what your friend is doing, if you have any info. Two years does seem like a long time, but when I look at the list of places I want to go and think about how long I want to stay in them, I can't imagine cutting it any shorter!

Lindsey said...

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Jared! (Wow, I didn't know you were reading!) I'll definitely make sure you and everybody else know about the new blog, once I get it set up.

Emily's adventure sounds AMAZING. I love sailing too, but I'm not sure I have what it takes to be a solo sailor. Big props to her, and thanks for the link!

aaron said...

i don't know much more than that she lives with six other people... she's the one who wrote the blog post about google ads i shared the other day, you can skim her blog for more references to it. i think it's modeled off of shane claiborne's community, but obviously every community is going to be different based on the people in it. i could get you her email address if you wanna find out more.

Sarita Li said...

Peep! Peep!

You know, if you're going to be wandering the West Coast for awhile, I think I know of a brand new human who will want to see you...

Also, there are some cool organic farms around here on the central coast, esp. Big Sur.

Lindsey said...

Aaron: Excellent, thanks. I'm gonna contact her through her blog. Great potential interview subject, whether or not I make it to FL.

Sarita: Invitation accepted! There's a high likelihood I'll be passing your way en route to the Tole Mour, where I'm hoping to work (with Rob and Holly) this fall. Peep!

Sheila Owen said...

I'm so excited for you, Lindsey! And in awe of your courage.

If you come through Memphis, you have a place to stay, with me.

There is an intentional community here in West Tennessee called Rose Creek Village: http://www.rosecreekvillage.com/ --- not that you are lacking for places to go, I'm sure.

God's blessings on your travels.

Anonymous said...

Keep me posted as plans develop and when you do start up the new blog...I'm pretty envious!

Lindsey said...

Thank you, Sheila! I hadn't heard of Rose Creek Village, but it looks like a place I definitely want to check out, especially because I'm already planning a stop in Nashville. The invitation is also much appreciated! There's a good chance I'll take you up on it - maybe sometime in the latter half of 2012. Thanks for reading and rooting for me!

Lindsey said...

Will do, Friend.