Thursday, December 15, 2005

In Which I Answer Your Questions About Music and Portland.

[And by "your," I mean "my."]

Q: What on earth is that new, ominous-looking green building on Burnside that bears no slogan but AFSCME?
A: Why, it's the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees. Which I think is a labor union for civil servants... but may just be a cover for a robot manufacturer, who knows.

Q: Is the first-ever They Might Be Giants podcast worth the download?
A: If you are really a TMBG fan, yes. Otherwise, not so much.

Q: With all the mp3 blogs out there these days, isn't there one that features really good writing?
A: There is.

Q: What if popular musicians wrote songs which were anagrams of their names?
A: They might sound like the Holy Tango Basement Tapes.

Q: Say I want to take public transportation from my mansion in the West Hills to the AFSCME building, so I can see the robots... er, government employees. What's the easiest way to do that?
A: Use Google's Transit Trip Planner, which is currently in beta, with Portland as a guinea pig. It's keen!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find Google Transit vaguely interesting...but not really any different than the TriMet site, which works great most of the time. I wonder if that's why Portland is the test city? Because they already HAVE a good trip planning webpage?

I have to admit, though, I like their "cost of transit versus cost of driving" info, and the way you can easily switch between different options - much easier than the TriMet page.

colorfulveggies said...

I am so amazed that this cool transit planning service is only available for the Portland, Oregon metro area.

Google, Microsoft, Yahoo...It's like watching a big Risk game where the opponents are all launching daring attacks, defending territory, and moving across continents with a cunning plan, trying to make themselves indispensible.

Dave said...

where have you gone? I need my Lindsey update fix...