Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Which Contains a Word I Can't Spell.

One of those things I did during C weeks that I didn't tell you about was get a caller ID box. Now when I come home, I don't have to wonder how many people called me and didn't leave a voicemail; the box tells me NO CALLS. THAT'S RIGHT, NOBODY CALLED YOU, it says. QUIT CHECKING ALREADY. Today I had 1 CALL and I was kind of excited about that, but the person who rang me up is apparently named UNKNOWN CALLER. Huh. I can't recall meeting anyone by that name. Well, if you're reading this, UNKNOWN CALLER, you can call back now; I'm home!

I just got back from the last session of my chigong (or chi kung, or qigong, or xlrqmdv) class. This is what I was referring to when I said I was getting an early start on a C activity. Actually, tonight marks the end of the first of two sessions, the second building on the first, but I am not going back for more. At least, not from this teacher. Don't get me wrong, I really liked her; like, I think if we had gone to school together, we probably would've hung out. But her instructional style just wasn't working for me. What I really wanted was either a) a sense of progress toward a definite learning goal throughout the course, or b) to walk away from most class sessions feeling really good (energized and/or relaxed). But I didn't get either one of those. I mostly just felt confused, stupid, and/or bored. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out why, and though I won't bore you with all of the possible reasons I came up with, part of the problem may have been that this was the first class she had ever taught. I am sure she will improve, but I don't want to be her guinea pig.

The xlrqmdv was cool, though. She talked a lot (a lot) about the amazing benefits it can have for your body, and I could see how that could be true. Some of the movements are really neat, all flowy and centering and challenging without being painful. I have heard/read that it is dangerous to try and learn this stuff from a book or video; you need an instructor to make sure you aren't learning it wrong. But I am not a good kinetic learner. I am good with stuff on paper though.

Hmm.

Well, there are lots of other tj!ckuongg instructors in this area, even just at different community centers, and I will likely try another class later this year. I probably won't even wait for the Fortnight of Q. I may take another yoga class first though. In yoga you always get to just lie on the ground and breathe for a while. I am pretty good at that.

2 comments:

ah said...

Hey me too!

Anonymous said...

I took a chigong class once. I thought it was boring, too. I'd much, much rather be doing yoga or tai chi.