Sunday, February 12, 2006

In Which C Concludes and D Descends.

I think the definitive word for C weeks was cantankerous. I mean when I had an evening at home in the last two weeks with time to sit down and blog, and I wasn't caught off guard by that darn bedtime alarm, I found that I was just too cranky to write for public consumption. I had some good stuff to write about, but every silver lining had a cloud, y'know? I admire people who can spin a readable blog post out of a foul mood, but I didn't have the guts for it.

Anyway, I hope that's past now. Today certainly felt like a fresh start, what with sunshine and happy music and a good sermon (the heartening kind, not the kind that makes you feel kicked in the shins), and some laughs with ah over hotcakes and milkshakes, and then a good nap. I had forgotten how delicious it is to fall asleep in any random spot in my house when sunlight is pouring through the windows.

And just for the record, there were a lot of C activities that I could have written about. There was a slightly surreal episode of cleaning, with children and chemicals. There was the day I went to two different churches and found them a study in contrasts. There's the chigong class I've been attending, which has actually been kind of a disappointment, though I think I would really like it with a different teacher. (If you've never heard of chigong, think tai chi; they're not the same, but they appear so to the casual Western observer.) I also went to Cosmic Monkey Comics, and also back to that neat CD store (though I didn't buy anything this time). And I got some basic instruction on how to use this cool old Canon SLR that I've had for a while now, a grown-up camera from the early '80s, and I went to a concert, not the classical kind but the kind where the kids stand around bobbing their heads. (It was Stars, with the Elected. At the Aladdin. If you were wondering.)

So now it's time for D. Hmm, my list of D ideas is a lot shorter than the C one. Which is probably good. Yesterday I took a tour of the west half of my attic, inspired by a brown spot in my living room ceiling, and found that the roof on that side is pretty much done for. Subsequently, the roll bar on my vacuum cleaner quit spinning, and one of the buttons on my alarm clock popped out and slid deep into the body of the clock. If this keeps up, I'm definitely not going to be bored.

3 comments:

Ike Graul said...

If you are searching for D's, I highly recommend The Divine Conspiracy by Dallas Willard. It is the "new black" as far as I'm concerned. But I'm guessing you may not be looking for more reading, and it is not in most ways a thin read (it's a good thing black is slimming.)

Sorry to hear about your roof. You could have it fixed in two weeks, or if it can wait a several months, have it repaired in the fall.

Lindsey said...

Thanks for the recommendation. I just put Divine Conspiracy on my To Read list, and noticed that I already have another title by that author there: Spirit of the Disciplines. I think that was another recommendation from a trusted friend. Maybe I'd better figure out who this Willard guy is. I'd hate to miss the new black!

alissa j. said...

i was at that show. trying not to fall asleep. it wasn't boring. i don't know what 's wrong with me.

i suggest you start D with daffodills. and doughnuts. doughnuts are always good. try voodoo doughnuts downtown. and then go dancing. (my friend is getting ready to go dj some disco music)