Saturday, June 10, 2006

In Which I Wish Everyone a Happy Jroon.

I know, I know. It's been Jroon for quite a while now. But when it began, I was in Florida. I was at a conference. I was assured that I would be able to connect my laptop to the internet from my room. I was unable to do so. I was sorely vexed.

Florida was nice, though. I was in the Tampa area, at Florida College, which has a wildlife-friendly campus intersected by a river. I didn't see any alligators, but I saw a whole bunch of birds, including a fancy-lookin' woodpecker and a nest of yeeping osprey. I saw a snake and a turtle in the river one evening, and another evening, a fox that skipped along the path ahead of me, stopping every few seconds to stare. There were a lot of bugs, but not as many or as huge as I was expecting, and none of them bit me. The weather was warm and humid but not unpleasant, and we got just one good thunderstorm, which livened up a meeting that was running a tad long.

Now I'm having a (relatively) quiet weekend at home. I sent my roommate off on a road trip, and I am trying to catch up around here. I feel like things have been piling up on me lately. Today a church in my neighborhood hosted a trash collection day, where you can dump any trash you've got piled up around the house for free. Truck (who conveniently showed up with a van at just the right moment) helped me haul off an old satellite dish and TV antenna, a couple of rotting windowboxes, a grungy area rug and a broken papasan chair. I sure do like getting rid of stuff.

I sure do.

Being at home is pretty great, I admit. I like it a lot. But sometimes, you just have to run away. And I don't mean to a conference (come on!). I mean, sometimes you've got to pack a few things into a red-and-white kerchief and tie it to the end of a stick. Sometimes you've just gotta join the circus, or the raggle-taggle gypsies, or wander off into the deep dark woods alone, you know? If you understand what I'm talking about, then you know why, next week, I'm running off to be a sailor.

Don't worry. I'll probably come back.

The Battlefield Band - Heave Ya Ho

6 comments:

evannichols said...

What a perfect song! Almost makes me want to Go To Sea, too, but boats and I do not have a good relationship. Perhaps I'll just wait for the circus, or something....

Anonymous said...

Heh, Perfect song for a day that the Ocean calls.

Anonymous said...

Ooo, I'd LOVE to do something like the ship trip. For some reason, I've always wanted to learn to sail. I don't know why. Maybe because I couldn't quit figure it out in my head.

Anonymous said...

....er...that should be QUITE, not quit. Erg.

Unknown said...

That sounds wicked awesome. Which is only appropriate, since the description also applies to you. I'm jealous except for the seasickness bits.

Unknown said...

Hey, Lindsey--I hate to pimp my blog on yours, but I was thinking of you the entire time I was writing today's post.

And also, I hope you know that Ty and I will be talking all pirate-y to you for the rest of your life because of this boat trip thing.