Monday, July 17, 2006

In Which Home is the Sailor.

The last time I posted, I was at the eve of a two-week stint as volunteer crew aboard the tall ship Hawaiian Chieftain, in Gray's Harbor, Washington. Somewhere in there, two weeks turned into four, and when I cast off mooring lines last Saturday afternoon and watched my ship sail away without me, I knew that even four weeks was really not enough.

I've been dreading the writing of this blog post, because I feel both the urgent need and the utter inability to explain how and why this sailing thing has captured my heart. I want to record every moment, bright and dark, before it slips away. But how can I describe the deluge of new information, the tide of challenges, the all-consuming submersion into this new life, how it battered and buoyed me? How can I explain how much it changed everything, how much it changed me?

There's so much. Sail stories will be leaking out of me for the rest of my life, but today I don't even know where to begin. So I'll just tell you this:

You know how sometimes your subconscious plays this trick on you where you hear someone's voice so clearly that it wakes you out of sleep, even though no one is there? This happens to me a lot. Yesterday I took a nap after lunch (oh naps, how I missed you!). I was awakened by the voice of my captain, calling out the command to cast off mooring lines: "Take one! Take two!" and, fainter, the subsequent cry: "Haul away one! Haul away two!"

I rubbed my eyes: I was home, in my own bed, very far away from the Chieftain. I rolled over and looked at the clock: 2 p.m -- the exact time the Chieftain leaves the dock daily for her afternoon sail, the exact time those commands were being given in Westport's harbor, and exactly 24 hours from when I heard them last.

* * *

At least I have pictures to make up for my lack of words. Here are some great photos taken by my crewmate Ian's dad, and captioned by Ian himself. His feelings at parting with the Chieftain were markedly similar to my own. And here are some crappy pictures taken by a radio station that chartered the ship for a movie-related contest. Definitely not as highly recommended, but they do show me at the helm, as well as some off-kilter shots of the drawbridge I got to pilot us through in Aberdeen.

14 comments:

PJS said...

wow, that must've been awesome

evannichols said...

That looks INCREDIBLE! I can imagine how hard it would be to describe, when it's such a strong experience; how to convey the thoughts, sensations, feelings, memories all in mere words? Still, I hope to hear some of the Tales of the Sea.

And welcome home! :-)

Unknown said...

Wow. Just WOW. If I'm having a hard time coming up with words to comment, then I can imagine how hard it would be to express and incapsulate the experience.

And can I just say you look really cute as a sailor?

I've decided you're the coolest chick I know--no one else I can think of would have the guts and creativity to do something like this. You rock. Officially.

Jason Hill said...

How did you slip away without tipping us off to this grand adventure? Who needs Pirates of the Caribbean when you can work on such beautiful vessel? Those pictures were amazing! I have so many questions for you. (How far would you sail? Were any trips overnight? Does everyone volunteer? Were you completely exhausted? etc.) I'm looking forward to hearing more tales. While I wait I think I'll go have a listen to your nautical mix.

Kristi said...

That is so cool! I really look forward to hearing more about your adventures.

Anonymous said...

"Have you been half asleep, and have you heard voices? I've heard them calling my name... Is this the sweet sound that calls the young sailors? The voice might be one and the same."
--Kermit the Frog

Welcome back!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a dream time, but real. Be careful with dreams come true, they tend to consume reality. Well I am projecting my problem of preferring fantasy to reality on to you. Sounds like a wonderful time.

Ike Graul said...

You do NOT look cute; you look fierce in a very nautically handsome way.

The kids were actually playing pirate this morning as I was reading your blog (bandana covered heads and all.) When I told them that you had spent a month on a real ship, Isaiah froze in awe. So, consider this your official invitation to be the Main Speaker at Graul family dinner time very soon...like this week sometime if you are free.

Unknown said...

ARRRRRRR!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that it was everything that you wanted it to be.

I'm also glad to have you around again, even though I feel for how bittersweet homecoming must be.

See you soon, I hope.

Anonymous said...

Wow, didn't realize that you would be in 'costume' while doing it.

I'm glad that you finally got to do it after talking about it for the last couple of years. And it must have really been great to have extended for another two weeks.

Rex said...

That's cool that you loved it so much, I feel like I kinda knew you would though.

Anonymous said...

definitely looking forward to hearing sailing stories!

Anonymous said...

I'm still bothered that the Chief's four is actually aft.

You need to go back and get some blue water in. Spending a month in Westport is, eh, not what it's all about. :)