Monday, July 24, 2006

In Which It's Too Hot To Hoot.

It's so hot. Seriously. Hot hot hot.

Yesterday a Target employee told me that they're sold out of air conditioners throughout all of Oregon and Washington. Today someone told me that transformers are melting down in some areas because everyone's using their air conditioners. I had mine on all day yesterday, and invited friends over to share the cool. It's ancient, inefficient, and an eyesore, this big ol' box built right into my living room wall, but I sure was glad I had it.

Today I've mostly been at work, which is in some areas (like my office) even hotter than my house, so I haven't turned on the AC here. It seems kind of wasteful to run it just for myself, just for a couple hours, since I am leaving pretty soon here anyway.

I think I would have been better prepared for this heat wave if I hadn't spent the last four weeks in Westport on a boat. I know this because I went to see Gjallarhorn at the Aladdin last week. The Aladdin is a wonderful venue, really, but their air conditioner is always on waaay too high. (I once spoke to a manager there about this, and he explained that it's so old that it doesn't have any settings other than Very Cold and Off. And once you turn it Off, it doesn't readily turn back on.) So I always take a jacket to the Aladdin. But Spider did not take a jacket to the Aladdin, and was complaining of the cold within the first five minutes. So I let him wear my jacket, because I wasn't actually all that cold. See, the Aladdin's air conditioning was merely a balmy breeze compared to the wind in Gray's Harbor.

It was cool there; the temp rarely got as high as 70 on land, and it was much colder on the water. I didn't really like it. I wore long underwear almost every day. But apparently I got used to it after four weeks.

And now I'm too hot.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for walking me to my car in the heat (that makes me have flashbacks of going to college at Oklahoma Christian "where the wind comes sweeping down the plain" at a blazing 110 mph and 110 degrees F and you wonder if your eyelashes and eyebrows were singed off of your face as you made the mad dash from AC car to AC building... terrifying)

I don't have heat stroke, really. But I appreciated the walk and the talk and just the chance to be in the same area as you once again.

Unknown said...

Oh what joy¡

I also lived in that high temperature sand-blaster, but the cold in the winters was worse than the heat in the summers, for me. Of course, I had just decided that if I was going to complaim about weather, I'd complain about either heat or cold, but not both, and I had chosen cold, so I kinda' had to tough it out in silence, or risk break my resolve to limit my complaints.

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel about temps. I was freezing when I got to go home to Oregon after three months in Mississippi.

I'm sure the same will happen when I return from Afghanistan.