Sunday, October 29, 2006

Which Was Posted a Day Late, Due to Technical Difficulties.

Today [Saturday] I went to the increasingly awesome Stumptown Comics Fest. It's increasing in size as well as in awesome, so I found that the hour and a half I'd allotted for the event was barely enough after all. Stumptown is not your standard Marvel/DC convention, but an artist-oriented show that highlights a lot of new, unique, and self-published work. So the spandex and mutant boobs were vastly outnumbered by the journal comics, the social satire comics, the comics-spoofing comics, the cute-yet-disturbing comics, and a lot of stuff that's just plain unclassifiable. I got to chat with a lot of amazing artists, some of whom I've never heard,* and some whose work I've admired for a while (Amy Kim Ganter! Bill Mudron! Dylan Meconis!). And I brought home a bag full of postcards and business cards and small, inexpensive books to peruse at leisure.

*My two favorite discoveries were Aron Nels Steinke, a Portlander who just started drawing comics this year and already has a Xeric grant, and Hilary Florido, whose scribbled-at-work journal comic made me wish for a do-over on those tedious receptionist temp gigs. I can't wait to see what these talented people come up with next. (Suggestion: real web pages?)

Another wonderful discovery: this sign.

You get such a range of personalities at these things. I noticed I was really just way more interested in the work of artists who were friendly and eager to talk about their work. I think what it boils down to is that I prefer interacting with people who make me feel comfortable -- not something I'm proud of, but something I share with the majority of humanity. Sorry, shy cartoonists! That glazed "you're not going to buy anything, I can tell" look, or just awkward silence as I look over the art, generally sends me shuffling away embarrassed. On the other hand, I bought several cheaper things that weren't all that appealing to me, simply because the artist was so enthusiastic about it.

(Speaking of enthusiastic, friendly and eager to talk about their work, I'm proud to say there was one artist there who knew my name. Evan Nichols didn't have a booth this year, but he was doing the rounds, promoting his comic and making friends right and left.)

I had the chance to apply the above lesson in salesmanship to my subsequent shift at a booth of baked goods, used baby clothes, and holiday sundries at a fundraising fair (Holiday Fair, for those who are familiar with it). This was good fun too, primarily because I got to see a number of people I know but don't cross paths with often. Notable among these were the still-feisty-though-great-with-child Gina and her husband, who kept me greatly amused for at least an hour.

And then I met up with another old and rarely-seen friend, Athelstan, for coffee, rambling conversation, and a stroll in the fragile autumn sunshine. Yes, that's three unconnected blogging friends in one day! Hat trick!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, well, if there's anything Steve and I are good at, it's distracting people from their work. Any time, baby. Any time.

P.S. Man, that sign is the bestest. Ever.

Anonymous said...

Love to see more of the comic work from those peeps. I can't, because I simply cannot abide looking at MySpace pages. Ugh!

arwen said...

i TOTALLY went to school with Aron. I totally know that guy...

does that mean I win!?