Monday, November 20, 2006

Which is a 25K Celebration.

This is a celebratory blog post. I'm celebrating reaching the halfway mark in my novel wordcount. Does it faze me that I still have 25,000 words to go and only 10 days to write them in? Heck no! ...Well, okay, maybe. Kinda. Yeah. But I can do it, with the help of my secret weapon Thanksgiving Break.

I know the little counter over on the left is kinda confusing. I think the full length of the stripes with red, and the gray parts of the gray/green stripes, represent the number of words I need to write per day to reach 50K by the end of the month. They keep getting longer because I keep on not reaching that number. It looks like there are several days where I didn't write anything, but that's misleading; I just didn't update my wordcount until after midnight. And that really long gray/green stripe actually includes a lot of words from the previous day, so it's not as impressive as it looks. But the gist of the chart is accurate: I started out reeeaaal slow, and now I have to write like a maniac to catch up.

Part of the reason I got off to such a slow start was that my roommate was moving out. Yes, she has hopped the proverbial fence and moved on to the proverbial greener pastures. I have a new roommate lined up to move in next month. Her blog is broken, or I would link to it. (We'll have to work on that.) In the meantime, I can be as much of a slob as I like. Rest assured I am taking full advantage of this opportunity.

Before I get back to writing this cheesy faux-symbolic dream scene, here is a comic I just read that made me laugh pretty hard. I'm posting a link to it, but it's only for my single friends! Married friends, do not click here.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for 25k! That is just awesome. You can totally make it.

I have seriously fallen off the NaNo truck, but 5k is WELL within my sights. :)

ah said...

...And lo, I was that lamb!

Jodie Foster. She sure does love a good chip. Not the kind that will break your legs, snap off your head, or put you down under the ground. Anyway. Hilarious, man, hilarious.

evannichols said...

Hooray for 25K! I hope your Thanksgiving Holiday is tremendously productive, and words pour onto the page in amazingly coherent order! I'll see if I can arrange some rainy weather to encourage all the Portland NaNos to stay indoors and write this weekend... ;-)

Anonymous said...

You can TOTALLY do 25k in 10 days - heck, that's only 2500 words a day! Good luck to you and happy writing!

Jason Hill said...

You go NaNoWriMo empress. You can totally do it.

I went to see Stranger Than Fiction the other night and thought about you and your journey a lot. When the month is over you should definitely go see it.

Anonymous said...

I think you should see the film now. Especially if you haven't left for down south yet. Because "spider" wants to see it... and Spider sees everything.

Tiffany said...

Write like the wind, Lindsey! Throw quality out the window (which is sort of the point of NaNoWriMo) and get those words on the page! We're rooting for you!

Anonymous said...

The comic...I just don't get it. It is late and my lips are chapped from the dry heat of the wood stove, my belly is full of fizzy Diet Dr. Pepper that my kidneys are dutifully draining into a sack in my pelvis causing a certian urgent pressure, and there is 8 inches of fresh Bellingham snow outside that is begging for a naked snow angel, all of which explain a state of distraction that causes the humor of extinct reptile ramblings to be lost on me. But I like Jodie Foster, and in a way that she would certainly never offer approval. And I like chips. Today I had some terrific Kettle brand Roasted Red Pepper and Goat Cheese chips while driving home in a snowstorm. I am looking forward to trying the Spicy Thai flavor. At the Bellingham Fred Meyer, Kettle chips are in the health food section. That alone made my day. Now I must disrobe and make an good first impression on the snow in the neighbor's yard.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! 'course we all know the last 10,000 words are simply: All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. (repeated, of course) ~spider