Sunday, February 18, 2007

In Which Answers Only Lead to More Questions.

And voila! In a bold stroke of genius, Mr. Whybark (yes, the very same Whybark mentioned in the previous post) enters the words "Minnesota hanging doll" into Google, and gets a) my blog, and b) some answers (in that order, oddly enough).

(I know, duh, but this actually hadn't occurred to me. Apparently I was more interested in wondering about the doll's origins than actually finding them out?)

Turns out the doll is not actually hanging. It's just sitting in the window, as you can see in this photo (shamelessly yoinked from the KAAL TV website):


He looks a little bored, if you ask me.

So there's an old doll sitting in the window of an old farmhouse in the dinky town of Janesville, MN. Big deal, right? But the plot thickens up a bit when you realize that Ward Wendt, the guy who first put the doll in the window in 1976, is not only keeping mum about his reasons, but he has written them down in a letter which he then placed in a time capsule and buried in the park across the street. The capsule is not to be opened until 2176.

Like anybody will even care then. That house will be long gone by 2076. It's like a dare!

Anybody up for a roadtrip to Minnesota? Bring shovels and headlamps.

* * *

While writing this, I was listening to They Might Be Giants' Flood, a work of deranged genius that exceeds even Ward Wendt's, and I began wondering just what that bluebird nightlight looked like. (If you know the album, you know the one.) Well... I think I found it.

3 comments:

PJS said...

that nightlight is pretty funny, I wonder if they've heard the song.

I always thought they were saying "...like the London Symphony"

PJS said...

or "...the laundry symphony"

Unknown said...

I'm all for road trips and disturbing people's property