Saturday, April 07, 2007

In Which I'm So Glad to Live in Portland.

Today marked the return of the Portland Farmer's Market. I love farmer's markets, but especially the first one of the year. It's a big green block party: live music, tasty food, everybody excited because the sunny season is coming back. I sat on a wet curb to eat a bowl of carrot ginger soup with cilantro pesto (oh my) and listen to a gentle, accordion-accompanied rendition of "In the Jailhouse Now." Pigeons came and went; a tiny girl paused with her daddy to say, "Hi birdies... hi birdies." A passing beagle leaned in to get a better sniff of my lunch. "Nope," I told him. "Not sharing." The stalls were full of goodness: fresh flowers, young plants, pastry and honey and smoked salmon.

I can wander around a place like that for hours, just comparison shopping and absorbing happiness, but today I didn't get there until near closing time. So I was a model of decisiveness and efficiency. Goat cheese: check. Giant cookies: check. Interesting meat: check (farmed elk? why not?). It had started raining by the time I was ready to leave, but I still paused by the bug booth to watch the ladybugs swarm around the terrarium... and walked away with a two-for-one deal on lacewing eggs. I got soaked on my way back to the car and I didn't even care. The sunny season is coming back!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a little green. Not in the sense of "Earth Day" green, but in the sense of "I wish I had been there, too" green.

Unknown said...

Why ya gotta go around all braggin' about your hood?

Seriously, you made me so jealous just now.

ah said...

You write yourself so well. I can seriously see you telling the dog No Gracias.

Unknown said...

Ahhh, home! I miss it.