Sunday, March 07, 2010

Welcome to the Lair.

Slowly, slowly I've been picking my way through the artifacts and paper-clutter that have accumulated in my life's wake. The other day I found the three-ring binder containing my notes from the basic web design instruction I took in 1996, at UHSLIS. My first lessons in HTML markup are all there in my own handwriting, tags earnestly written out for easy future reference, reminders like "Don't use tables if you can help it" and "Shrink graphix w/Photoshop - under 25K!!" And there are all these references to things like Lynx and UNIX commands and explanations of what things stand for (a href = Anchor Hypertext REFerence, if you were wondering) and, awww, it's just so cute to see it from the present day, after we've come so far. Like film footage of myself learning to walk or something. Here's the first page. If you were doing web stuff in the mid-90s, maybe you'll get what I mean.

I actually still use HTML tags with some regularity (the content management system at work requires a lot of cleaning up after), so this stuff isn't wholly obsolete. But the whole concept of writing it out by hand has gone by the wayside. If I need to check proper tag usage, I'm not going to reach for a 3-ring binder, I'm going to google the answer. I've adapted to this so thoroughly that it's mind-boggling to think of how completely outside my experience that was at the time.

Behind the seven pages of HTML notes are six pages of URLs. Yes, six handwritten notebook pages full of URLs, 98% of which are (I'm guessing) long since defunct. Because back then, kiddies, there were no websites set up to mind your links for you. And even if there had been, they would have been terribly inconvenient because there was no tabbed browsing, and the more browser windows you had open, the slower your computer ran. So if you found a website that you wanted to find again, your options were limited to a) browser bookmarks (useless if you're browsing in a lab), b) writing it down on paper, or c) e-mailing it to yourself, a strategy I adapted after that sixth page.

What's most interesting about this, to me, is that I had such a hunt-and-gather approach to the Web, like I had to discover and collect it all. I was immediately hooked on the boundless possibilities for exploration, and would think up obscure topics to research just to see what was out there. What does the Internet have about Ben Folds? Celtic folk music? Arthurian legend? At this point in internet history, it was easy to think of an exhaustible topic, i.e, you could conceivably read through all the sites known to Webcrawler/AltaVista/Yahoo on (say) Tove Jansson's Moomins in a single evening. But seeing it all wasn't enough. I had to hold on to that info, to walk away with something to show for it -- even if that was just a line of scribbled characters on a sheet of paper, a ring of keys meant to unlock doors to which I rarely if ever returned.

I'm glad I don't feel the need to do that anymore (or worse, print out all my "important" e-mails... professors actually advised us to do this! I'm happy to report that I gave up on it pretty quickly). But there was something much more active about how I interacted with the 'net back then: it was all me doing the pursuing. Now that I have various online services trained to bring me what I'm interested in, my primary mode is just keeping up, rather than going out on the hunt. In some ways, that's less satisfying.

That class I mentioned required me to create my own homepage, so the other interesting thing in that binder was a set of printouts of its code. My first homepage! I called it "Lindsey's Lair", hah. The bulk of it was a series of links to things like my online assignments, homepages of friends and classmates, and randomly relevant links (another mind-boggler: at the time it apparently seemed like a good idea to link to my credit union?). I tried to include a new quote and a new poem every week (not my own, and with utter disregard for copyright), as well as a small but cheery block of welcome text. Here's one of those, for your amusement:
Welcome to the Lair (or welcome back, as the case may be). Things have been pretty quiet around the old place lately; you'll seldom find me home, because I'm out stalking my prey of Learning and Achievement. (I like them served with Cheese.) Still, the door's unlocked and you're always welcome to wander in.
O Internet! So much has changed! Or has it?

5 comments:

aaron said...

researching something online was so different before wikipedia...
the credit union thing was especially funny for me, because the first tow knee chavez site had a link to washington mutual. we knew it was ridiculous when we did it though, haha.

Anonymous said...

Aw! The internet was so CUTE when it was young!

Jason Hill said...

I loved reading this. And in response, I still find the internet quite satisfies my hunting urges. However, I am remembering nights with my friend Jono where we would look up works like 'death' just to see how dark the rabbit-home might be, and I shudder.

Lindsey said...

A: At that time, my homepage seemed to me something primarily for my own use, rather than anyone else's. I was well aware no one would visit that page nearly as often as I did. Thus the convenient list of links I expected to use often: I conflated homepage with start page. Which wasn't so uncommon, back then.

S: And so dorky! But in a completely adorable way!

J: Thanks! And it's not that there's not still good hunting to be had. That's one of the things I enjoy most about my job, actually. But I spend a lot more time with my RSS reader than with search engines, these days. Which I also love. But it's like fishing with a net instead of a spear: more fruitful, less exciting.

S. said...

i like to have my Learning and Achievement with Cheese AND Wine.