Saturday, January 19, 2008

Progress Report: A Report on Progress.

Look, I changed my header! The image width still isn't right, and I may not ultimately use that image at all, and I'm still missing one of those whaddyacallems, uh, titles? But it's progress, and I'm into celebrating progress these days.

I've made a lot of progress lately, actually. I've kept up with the daily photo challenge. I found an alarm clock that I actually don't hate. I rebuilt my resume from the ground up. I installed my Shiny New Printer (thanks, Santa!) so I could print it. I am currently in the process of applying to: a bakery, a company that does something-or-other with music licensing, and a sailmaker's loft (yes, there's one in Portland!). I have a list of about 10 other jobs I still want to apply to before I start calling temp agencies. But since I already have plans to go away for the summer, temp is probably where I'll end up.

I also got rid of a lot of stuff: I recycled an old phone and printer. I found new homes for bags and bags of clothing. I whittled the feeds in my reader down to a mere 1740 unviewed posts. I dumped a lot of MP3s that I never liked anyway. (Don't worry, I still have 2283 of them!)

Now the excess stuff in my room is mostly down to Projects, about which Decisions must be made. For example:

Q: Here is a computer I built in 1998. It has a 3.5" floppy drive and a keyboard that doesn't really work anymore. It also houses some really important files. What should I do with it?
A: Obtain hardware that will allow you to eat its brains. By which I mean pull the hard drive, suck out the good stuff, and erase the rest. Then, because you love it, set it free. Let it lope unfettered on the technological veldt. That's what FreeGeek is for.

Q: What shall I do about all these papers that need to be filed, but the mere thought of filing them is incredibly painful?
A: Get yourself a decent filing cabinet, for crying out loud: one that opens and closes easily and doesn't leave your files all bendy. Look into the hanging folder thing, which is Probably Worth It.

Q: Here is a paper model of a castle which I almost finished circa 1990, but then got frustrated with and abandoned. And yet somehow it has followed me ever since, without getting crushed. What should I do with it?
A: Dust it off and inspect it. Discover that it is Awesome. Consider how your dexterity and problem-solving skills have evolved in the past umpteen years, and set it aside for completion (for reals this time).

And so on. It's amazing how much easier it is to figure this stuff out than it was seven months ago. Hooray for progress!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am jealous of your progress. I just barely got our house back to normal (Christmas stuff turned it into a pit, even though almost all of the Christmas stuff got put away on New Year's Day. It's a mystery.)

I have so many bills to file. I know that if I would just file them as they arrive, I wouldn't have to mess with the man-eating bill pile, but that's just never going to happen. Wanna come visit me and file my bill stubs? I'll let you play with the Cutest Baby Ever...

colorfulveggies said...

Good job!
I'm proud of your progress.
And how cool that you are going to finish the castle. Those Dover Publications were always so appealing.

Gaelon said...

I have been using an alarm clock that I believed was perfect for my needs, mostly because it's name was The Perfect Alarm Clock. I downloaded Citrus Alarm Clock. I agree, it is good stuff. Perfect didn't have a snooze feature or the fade-in volume. It simply opened the desired file in a media player of your choice. It was good, Citrus is better. Thanks for the advice.