Monday, January 14, 2008

Archæology and Paelæontology.

So I haven't fixed the template yet, even though it makes me cringe. Nor have I chosen a new title, which also makes me cringe a little (I have yet to come up with one that doesn't). But other things have kept me occupied since I got home from my visit to New Mexico.

The past couple of days I've primarily been settling back into my own space. This endeavor is complicated by the disarray I left behind when I got on a boat last summer. My room is piled with abandoned projects and objects which have yet to find a home, all visibly dusty. I am not the kind of person who can just throw armloads of things in the garbage, shrug, and move on. No, I pick the debris apart and dust off each piece carefully, like an archaeologist, reconstructing the life of the room's previous tenant. I interpret the clutter as a series of messages passed through time from her to me, from past-Lindsey to present-Lindsey: "Help! I can't deal with this!" And I feel a maternal sort of compassion toward her, because I remember how it felt to be so discouraged that even simple problem-solving tasks, like figuring out where to put things, seemed impossible.

And I also kind of hate her, because she left me this freakin' mess to clean up. But I'm itching to get it under control, because as soon as I do, I get to go to Ikea. I've never been there -- was out of town when the new store opened up -- but I've been studying the catalog, and some of their stuff looks like it might be just what I need to make my home more attractive and orderly and awesome.

(Having Ikea in town is humbling, because it squashes my delusions about not being an overly materialistic person. I feel like a character in the Sims, that game in which the secret to happiness is buying new stuff. Would you like this couch or that couch, or how about a moose head? Watch me jump up and down and clap my hands and burble some pseudo-language.)

Today also marks the beginning of The Great Job Hunt. At this stage I'm very optimistic (perhaps inappropriately, given how much luck some of my friends have had finding jobs in Portland). But man, there's some interesting stuff they'll pay you to do out there. And also, there are about a bazillion temp agencies. I have spent quite a bit of time today exploring possibilities online, and am at this very moment procrastinating on my resume. Yeah, I should really finish that. But before I go, I'll leave you with a link and a riddle.

The link is to my newest Fun Internet Project, which I was hesitant to jinx by exposing too early in its infancy. It's two weeks old now, though, so here: the new photo-a-day blog, a joint project with Ashley. Props to Jason for giving me part of the idea, and to 3191 for giving Ashley the other part.

And here's the riddle: What kind of bone is this?
It was found in the New Mexico desert. Clicky-click to zoomy-zoom.
I do not know the answer to this riddle.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any useful context for that bone? Was the hole original, or drilled in later? And there's a LOT of wear on that, no? The cross-structures are actually internal, exposed by weathering or some such?

Wanna come look through this Big Book of Skeletons with me?

ah said...

ALIEN BONES!

Lindsey said...

Nope, no context. Our host in Ruidoso found it (on an abandoned homestead, I think), and his theories all involved marine mammals. The hole is original and looks like a socket, at least to the amateur's eye. It has a twin on the other side. And yes, it's very very worn, and missing parts; the two long bits coming off each side all have broken ends. So I suppose the cross-structures could have been exposed by weathering, but if so, they've been exposed symmetrically.

Wait. Did you just say you have a Big Book of Skeletons?

Cassie said...

My guess is it's some sort of alligator/moose hybrid.

...which sounds sort of painful for both parties.

Anonymous said...

. S'actually the library's copy. It's worth going through even if you didn't have a bone you wanted to identify.

Anonymous said...

Bah. I'm an incompetent.

Unknown said...

I'm pretty sure it's the jaw of a mouse. A really scary mouse.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if it might be the pelvis bone of an Ostrich?

Anonymous said...

Looks like some kind of pelvis bone. I don't have a clue as to what sort of critter, though. If it was a marine mammal, it was seriously lost. We all feel sorry for whales that occasionally get lost and stray up rivers or beach themselves, but man...