Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Getting Somewhere, and Four Weeks of Photos.

You know that feeling you get when it seems like nothing is going on, and then suddenly everything happens? Like... it's like you're pedaling an exercise bike, spinning your wheels getting nowhere, and you space out for a little bit and then realize (much to your confusion) that you're rolling down the road with the wind in your face?

This week I had that feeling again. I was starting to get frustrated with how The Great Job Hunt has not yet resulted in lucrative employment, and frustrated with the inertia that results from really, really enjoying not having a job. And then BAM! something amazing popped up when I least expected it. It isn't definite, so I don't want to describe it yet, and it isn't full-time, so it doesn't resolve the whole income issue. And it won't be simple or straightforward, and it's a tiny bit risky... but today I realized that those are things I especially like about it.

So now I'm gripping the handlebars for dear life, but also grinning a huge wide bug-catching grin: wheeeee!

* * *

The photo-a-day project isn't even a month old yet, but it has already been my most successful collaboration with Ashley since People In My Neighborhood (link to the original by Baldwin and Gregory; our version isn't online, but it was kinda like that, only better).

Years of crappy cameras, together with the irritations of paying someone else to develop my film, made me a reluctant photographer. But I love to look at good photography, and I always sorta wanted to learn how to use a camera well, or at least not so clumsily.

I'm kind of a penny-pincher (when I'm not buying food), so when I got a low-end digital camera last year, that was a big deal for me. I was glad to have it to capture my sailing adventure, but I didn't want a fancy gadget like that to start collecting dust when I got back home. I didn't want to take it for granted. I wanted to learn how to use it better, and I figured the only practical way to do that was to use it more.

So now I'm taking more photos. Lots more photos. Since I got back from New Mexico, I've taken an average of 24 photos a day. And in doing so, I'm learning what my camera is good at and not-so-good at, gradually getting a grasp on what makes a shot work, learning to trust my gut and to take chances. I'm also learning how much I still have to learn.

Even better than learning to use my camera, though, has been learning to use my eyes: to see the world in a new way, to notice things I wouldn't have, to pay attention. Light means so much more to me now. And I realize almost daily now how amazing my eyes are, all the things they can deal with (low light, motion, obstructions, depth of field) without any conscious input on my part.

I'm also learning that if you go out looking for an interesting photo, sometimes interesting things happen to you. Yesterday I met Mr. Beet of Beet's Auto Body, which is kind of a landmark around here. On MLK Day a bricklayer told me the wall he was building was the last of 25 years' worth of projects in Portland. I thought for a few thrilling moments that I might get to meet a resident of The Scary House... but it was only a neighbor. Pointing a camera at stuff, I've learned, makes people want to talk to you. Sometimes all they want to say is "Can I help you?" which is of course code for "What do you think you're doing pointing your camera at my car/house/merchandise?" But even one question and one answer is still dialogue, and more than I usually share with strangers.

* * *

Friday is Hourly Comic Day. I've always been more than a little intimidated by 24 Hour Comic Day, but this I think I can maybe handle, if I'm not working (and possibly even if I am). Join me?

5 comments:

hhw said...

I had a similar experience when shifting from film to digital cameras, feeling free to play rather than constrained by the expense and delay of buying film and getting it developed.

evannichols said...

Hmmm, Hourly Comic Day, you say? Perhaps I could do such a thing, too...

So, do people ever get to see all the other photos you've taken? If they ask nicely?

Lindsey said...

All the other photos? No. But the ones that aren't blurry, underlit, redundant, or tedious are online at my favorite photo hosting site. That link is available to people who ask nicely.

Anonymous said...

Same here with the film-to-digital switch. Might as well try the shot, because what's the worst that will happen? You run the battery down? (Which isn't wholly snarky---I need a new battery for this camera.)

I'm thinking I need to start carrying my tripod around, though, because I keep wanting to try night shots from the roof of the parking garage.

I've been enjoying your photos very much; blink-twice and non-blink-twice.


Hourly comic day sounds... possible. And intriguing. And disquieting.

Which are all in-favor-of-doing-it words.


Good luck on the wind-and-handlebars prospect. :-)

Gaelon said...

...and most importantly I would like to propose that the pelvic bone of an ostrich, properly mounted, would make a fine bicycle seat. Notice, if you will, the in the transom-like horizontal structure. Imagine how this structure would flex upon impact and absorb...

(An exercise in the art of "scarcely non sequitur")