Monday, May 12, 2008

State of the Lindsey.

I know that lately all my posts have been about a) bizarre micro-events or b) COMICS COMICS WOO!!! This is because the rest of my life has been in a state of vagueness: plans still in flux, nothing concluded or settled or accomplished. If it weren't for Three on the Third, my posting record of late would be very very sparse.

But things are starting to move toward resolution, and I'm feeling better about it all at the moment. So here is an update on the more prosaic aspects of my life:

1) My roommate moved out. It was an amicable parting, but it did leave me hunting frantically for someone trustworthy to live in my house and give me money before I leave town in June. This was more stressful than I expected. However, I am happy to report that I will soon be renting most of my house to Mr. and Mrs. Chainsaw. Yes: they are Webcomic Artists. They are moving to Portland from Georgia, partly because they want to go to my church. (This is significant to me. I quit my secure long-term job partly so I could go to my church. My church is pretty amazing.) Also, they have a Good Rental History. Cue giant sigh of relief.

2) I've been temping a couple days a week at a school for painters and drywall tapers. I'm assisting with clerical duties in the admin office. My supervisor is great, and the work isn't bad for temping: lots of data entry, filing, paper-shredding. Nothing all that exciting, but nothing painful either.

2.5) I am disappointed that I didn't earn more money during my time in Portland, though. I've got to get better at this.

3) However, I'm glad I'm not working full-time this month, because I've got a lot of preparations to make for my departure. This evening's project is Filing. I finally got a hanging folder insert for my cheap filing cabinet. This makes all the difference in the world. It is no longer a Huge Pain to file things; it's actually almost kind of fun. I am not going to admit to you how many years' worth of documents are now getting filed, shredded, or recycled, but I will have a lot more space in my room when I'm done.

4) And then I can pack up a lot of my stuff from downstairs and move it into my room.

5) Also: My yard is a jungle and it's eating my house. So I'm working on that.

6) Also: remember the heating duct project? Yeah, there's still that too.

7) So you could say I've got my work cut out for me.

8) However, because of the Chainsaws' arrival date, I will probably not leave right at the beginning of June, which was the original plan. Probably more like a week into June. I should probably get those tickets pretty soon, yeah?

9) Tickets... to Maui! I'm going to Maui! I'm going to work on a boat with my superhero cousins! I'm going to learn to clean fish and drive standard. For real! I feel like it's dead week right now, and I am all wrapped up in papers and tests and sort of can't believe it will ever end, but I have to keep reminding myself that just on the other side of the deadlines is Summer Vacation.

10) And now: back to Filing.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Whew.

Also:

Woo Hoo!




Word Verification: qirkhq

I would totally to see a band called Quirk HQ

ah said...

How cool about your new roommates! Sounds like a total godsend.

upsidedown cat said...

wow, so much exciting stuff!!!

PJS said...

Quirkk HQ

or a studio

ah said...

You know...Quirk HQ...the new Adobe software.

The Browns said...

Hey Lindsey-- just wanted to let you know I'm here. :) I've started thinking maybe I'll try the 3 on the Third-- but no promises yet! Thanks for your comment on my blog. I love you and miss you so much. I hate the years when we don't get to see each other-- they shouldn't be allowed.

Love, Rebekah