Thursday, May 01, 2008

This Post Is Pretty Much About Comics.

Hello! I hope your May Day was spring-y, or fair to laborers, or at least didn't involve any sinking vessels. Unless they were your enemy's.

Now that it's the First (and probably the Second by the time you read this), you know that the Third can't be far behind. And you know what we do on the Third, right?

We draw three comics. About things that happen to us, or things that we make happen, or things that we observe happening, on the Third.

Okay, then. As long as we have that straight. Fortuitously, this month the Third happens to fall on Free Comic Book Day. That should give you something to write about. On Free Comic Book Day, you can walk into any comic book store on Saturday and get a free comic book -- or, in many cases, multiple free comic books. (Note that it does not mean you can walk out with any comic book for free. There will be lots of free ones to choose from, though.) If you live anywhere near me, I highly recommend stopping by Guapo Comics and/or Cosmic Monkey. They both have a good representation of independent and non-superhero comics, and will not act surprised/confused when an ACTUAL GIRL walks in the door.

And while I'm going on about comics, ohmygosh Stumptown!!!!!! If you were designing an event specifically to make Lindsey happy, it just might involve a whole lot of quirky, non-mainstream comic artists under one roof, all eager to talk about and show you their work and give you free samples. I met a bunch of cool people, listened to some fun speakers/interviews, and came home with a giant bag of loot. Most of the loot (business cards, postcards, and minicomics) points toward a body of web-based work as well. So I have a ton of fun things to look at, if I can find the time.

What I would really like to do is highlight some of my favorite finds in some upcoming blog posts. However, the arrival of May also means I have a month left before leaving for Hawaii, and holy cow do I have a lot to get done in that time. So no guarantees.

All I can guarantee is that Saturday is the Third, and therefore a very good day to draw comics.

No comments: