Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Up in the Rig.

This evening (I love how late the sun goes down now!) I set out to rescue my dogwood tree from several years' growth of ivy. I worked my way up through the gnarled branches, tearing out vines as I went, and I thought about how it was trees that taught me how to climb, how to test a foot- or handhold and how to distribute my weight safely. All the instincts I brought to rocks and rigging came from that. And I thought about the cherry tree in my parents' back yard where I used to sit and pretend I was the captain of a pirate ship. Yes, I was the captain, but I still hung out aloft, because that was obviously the coolest place to be. Occasionally there'd be a little wind, just a little, and that made it easier to imagine I was a-rollin' on the main.

The dogwood is not nearly so sturdy, and required a lot more strategic maneuvering. It also kept trying to poke me in the eye. I couldn't decide if it was annoyed by my ruthless twig-breaking, or thought it was being helpful. I did have an awful lot of crud in my eyes (and nose, and hair, and clothing) by the time I was done. I found a bird's nest, as I'd feared, and found it was impossible to remove the ivy without destroying it, as I'd also feared. But it was unoccupied. Whew!

The difference between climbing a tree and going aloft on a tall ship, I decided, is that in a tree you feel safer than you are, and aloft you are safer than you feel. Then I hoisted myself up into the crown and decided I didn't feel all that safe anymore. Being a small person is often very useful; fifteen more pounds, and I would have broken one of those brittle upper branches. But I got the topmost parts of the ivy, and a rare view of a sunset that reminded me of Half Moon Bay.

SPEAKING OF TALL SHIPS... the Hawaiian Chieftain and Lady Washington are scheduled to arrive in Vancouver, WA on the 21st 22nd! They will be there until the 28th, and then in Portland until June 6. If you live here, and if you can swing it, I highly recommend signing up for a battle sail; that's the thing where the two ships sail around and fire cannons at each other, and yes, it is incredibly cool. Act fast, though, because they'll sell out soon. There will also be dockside tours almost every day (free, but remember to bring a little cash for a donation). More info here.

Yes, I'm excited. And no, this is not going to help my getting-lots-of-things-done schedule at all.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot the original point of this post, which was to tell you that my departure date is Jroon 10th. Wooo! (and Eeep!)

3 comments:

alissa j. said...

tree climbing/photo shoot/going away for a while party at laurelhurst park?

Lindsey said...

As much fun as that sounds, it's not gonna happen. Sorry everybody! I've changed my middle name to LAMENESS.

Anonymous said...

I notice that the Lady Washington almost never comes to Wyoming. It makes me sad.

T