Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Post the First: In Which I Enumerate the Ways This Blog Will Improve My Life

1. People who blog are cool. At least, all the ones I know are. I suspect that even bloggers who aren’t cool, if any such exist, are still cooler than they would be if they didn’t blog.
Little-known fact: I have always aspired to some degree of coolness.

2. As a writer who wants to be a published writer, I can develop my blog into something that provides me with a) creative outlet, b) an audience, and c) increased exposure. SWEET!

3. Blogs foster something known as “parasocial interaction”, which sounds a little like parasailing, which my aunt tried once and she said it was really fun.

4. I will neutralize any potential negative side effects of blogging by a) refraining from any discussion of my employer and b) avoiding the use of real names, except when discussing Famous People, such as myself. Note: this last part will be extra fun, like writing in code or something.

5. I never could keep up a journal (except once, when a course grade depended on it). But when I think about the past, I always wonder what cool things I did and said that I’ve forgotten about. Now the events of my life will be archived on the internet, neatly categorized and fully searchable. I AM KILLING SO MANY BIRDS WITH THIS STONE, IT’S RIDICULOUS.

4 comments:

ah said...

Mmm, I like number three best.

PJS said...

what's parasocial interaction?

Lindsey said...

The term was first introduced in 1956 as a way of describing the one-sided relationship TV viewers developed with a mass media character or personality.

These days, it also applies to the way you feel like you know the people whose blogs you read, even if you've never interacted with them in real life.

colorfulveggies said...

"So clever...", she said glowing with pride.