Tuesday, May 02, 2006

In Which I Explain the Previous Post, and Some Future Ones.

I've been doing this thing for a couple of months now called Illustration Friday. It's a website that introduces a new theme (like "robot" or "feet" or "under the sea") every Friday, and people create visual art based on the week's theme and post it in their blogs, and then put a link to their site on the IF page so everybody else can see. I love the idea of it, but I'm not much of a visual artist (and I hate messing with scanners), so I just doodle something into a notebook and then feel slightly more creative for the rest of the day.

Illustration Friday always made me wish there were some sort of writing equivalent... and now there is! Sunday Scribblings offers a prompt every Saturday, so you can post some writing and then send your link to the site to be read. (I think the idea is that you'll have it ready by Sunday, but I doubt mine will be done by then, most weeks. I just did last Friday's illustration today, too.) This kind of low-key weekly writing challenge appeals to me quite a bit, even though (or perhaps because) as I look at the other submissions for this week's prompt, I notice mine doesn't quite fit in with the rest.

Note: If you're concerned about getting my fiction confused with my reality, Sunday Scribblings posts will not begin with "In Which".

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a cool prompt/assignment. THanks for sharing. I think I'll have to add it to my list of things-to-do-to-keep-up-with-writing-often. :-)

Karen C.

Anonymous said...

1.) I like that you have a code for us to tell the two types of entries apart.

2.) When I took a drawing class back in college, I noticed the same thing -- my drawings were always off at a tangent to everyone else's. (Well, everyone but the two declared art majors.) I would think that I had done the assignment straight up, no weird interpretations, right until the moment I stuck it up on the wall and realized that once again, everyone else thought and did one thing, and I had gone and done something else.

At the time, it was kinda freaky and unnerving. Now, while I still find it a little unnerving (and sometimes a lot unnerving), I mostly like it.

grrlpup said...

I get the Illustration Friday emails, but since Friday is one of my long work-days, I usually just scribble a picture on one of those pink phone message slips, and have never gotten around to posting it online. I'm going to try this one and put a little more effort into it. Yay!

Anonymous said...

Cool idea.

Oh, and I finally posted a couple of pics...