Thursday, February 14, 2008

Be Mine, Internet!

I recently finished my latest submission to the CD Mix Swap, aka "The Mixchange," which is run by Ashley and which continues to be Awesome. I think it's up to like four swaps a year now? Crazy. Anyway, I always want to use the phrase "best mix yet" in describing whatever I've just finished, but really I should be more specific with my superlatives. In this case I could maybe use ones like "most unmitigatedly cheerful," "sappiest," "farthest out of character." It is a Valentine's Day mix. Not the romantic smoldery kind, but the incredulously giddy kind.

Thanks to the magic of The Internet, I can share it with all of you without burning a disc, slapping a label on it and standing in line for ages at the post office. Sure, I did all of that for my fellow swap participants, but are you sending me a mix CD? No? Well, you can just download it then.

BE MY VALENTINE please please please
1. Hello Saferide - The Quiz
2. Amit - You and Me and Love
3. Fruit Bats - When You Love Somebody
4. Herman Düne - I Wish That I Could See You Soon
5. The Weepies - Gotta Have You
6. The Silent Years - Someone to Keep Us Warm
7. Solomon Burke - Home in Your Heart
8. The Moldy Peaches - Anyone Else But You
9. Half-handed Cloud - To Love Like the Father & Son Love Each Other
10. Harvey Danger - Happiness Writes White
11. The Robot Ate Me - Apricot Tea
12. The Constantines - Soon Enough
13. Crooked Fingers - Call to Love
14. Luke Hawley - Not Me Babe
15. Victoria Williams - Love
16. Irma Thomas - Ruler of My Heart
17. Kite Flying Society - If I Could Split
18. North Atlantic Explorers - I Will Not Leave You Alone
19. Looper - Impossible Things
20. The Boy Least Likely To - Be Gentle With Me
21. José González - Heartbeats
22. Noah and the Whale - Five Years' Time
23. Daniel Johnston & Yo La Tengo - Speeding Motorcycle

PARENTS! This mix has no obscenity or profanity at all, although it does have a guy yelling "dang" really loud. Given the theme, it even has surprisingly few references to gettin' it on. However, if you would prefer the little ears around you to be sheltered from any incidental mention of the following issues, simply avoid the corresponding track numbers: sleeping/lying/sharing a bed with someone else (1, 5, 13, 17), drug/alcohol abuse (17, 22), automobile theft as courtship (18), being super excited about God (9), not really caring at all about God (10), poop jokes (8). I think most of this mix is music that kids would like a lot. They seem to know a thing or two about giddy incredulity.

For those of you who like video with your audio, here are all the ones I could find that weren't horribly filmed live performances:
1. The Quiz
4. I Wish That I Could See You Soon
6. Someone to Keep Us Warm
20. Be Gentle With Me
21. Heartbeats (that one commercial)
22. Five Years' Time

So there you go. All audio tracks are downloadable for one week. Feed them to your MP3 player, burn them to a shiny disc, ignore them. Just have a happy freakin' Valentine's Day, all right?

6 comments:

evannichols said...

Wow. I don't recognize any of the artists or songs! I am obviously in need of Remedial Music Study. Thanks for all the downloadable music-ness!

And happy freakin' Valentine's Day, to you, too!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow oh wow oh wow, thank you! Happy Valentine's Day!

kaelea said...

I know I'm stating the obvious but YOU ARE SO INCREDIBLY WITTY AND FUNNY!! I love you, man!

PJS said...

I like almost every song on there. Particularly I really latched onto Kite flying society. I went and got some more of their stuff!

ah said...

It is awesome, isn't it?
It is way awesome.

upsidedown cat said...

oh i need to listen to it again! and i'm glad i got to meet you!
-laura