Sunday, February 10, 2008

Left Brain/Right Brain.

So, about this job: I have a cousin here in town who makes gorgeous glass earrings for gauged ears. The demand for her products is growing so quickly that she has been too busy filling orders to set up the business end of things properly. That's where I come in: I research everything that's involved in setting up a small business, and then help her make it all happen. I'm a left brain for hire. What I love about this (besides getting to work with my cousin, who's really cool) is that I'm essentially getting paid to learn -- and to learn stuff that could be useful in any number of other situations.

It's very part-time, though, so I'm still in search of something that will put some life back into my sickly bank account.

Thanks for all the great feedback on my Hourly Comics. I love journal comics, and I really needed a kick in the pants like that (i.e, an artificially constructed challenge) to actually make some of my own. It was a little too much of a pants-kick to want to do that every day, or even more than once a year really. But I have been thinking about ways to incorporate comic-making into my schedule on a basis that is both more regular and doable, more of a nudge in the ankle than a kick in the pants.

The ankle-nudge I've settled on... well, I'm calling it Three on the Third. On the third day of each month, I'll make three journal comics about my day. That's it. That's the whole challenge. I think I can manage this no matter what kind of work I'm doing. I think you can manage it too, so you should definitely think about it.

3 comments:

alissa j. said...

i like it. and you can be my left brain as well.

Anonymous said...

You're getting paid to make stuff out of glass?? Awesome! I would love a hands on 'apprenticeship' style job like that. I was actually looking into a blacksmithing apprenticeship a few weeks ago.

Some day, I will assimilate all that you learn about glassworking. In exchange, you'll be welcome to a piece of my brain as well.

Lindsey said...

A: Are you offering me employment? Let's talk.

R: No, unfortunately I'm not getting paid to learn glassworking. I'm getting paid to learn about small biz laws and regulations, accounting, taxes, insurance, etc. Does the offer still stand?