Sunday, January 22, 2006

In Which I Rearrange the Alphabet, Sort Of.

I've been doing pretty well on B foods: bread (in the form of sandwiches, or toasted with butter), turkey burgers, bananas and root beer. Not so well on the B activities. Of the two movies I saw this week, at least I can say that one, Looking for Comedy in the Muslim World, starred Albert Brooks. I went to see it because I had a free preview pass, and because I was under the impression that it was a documentary. The concept could have been a really great documentary, but as a comedy it was mediocre at best. Then there was Capote, which was a worthwhile film, though not a very fun one. Still, I probably chuckled more at Philip Seymour Hoffman than was entirely appropriate, and almost laughed out loud when the guy in front of me started snoring.

Friday night Evan lured me out with the promise of board games with friends, but then we all ended up playing a card-based variation of Cranium instead. (Bait-and-switch starts with B!) I considered walking out then and there, but you know, they had brownies.... For me, one of the highlights of the game was when I attempted to draw a rave, Pictionary-style. I mean, how exactly do you depict that? How do you draw a dark room, strobes, glowsticks? Particularly if you've never actually been to a rave, and are fairly confident that no one in your audience has either? Obviously, I didn't have much success, but it was fun to hear the guesses: "Disco?" "Rock concert!" "Prom?" "Woodstock!" All I could do was giggle and draw more stick figures: holding hands, lying on the floor with X-eyes.

So what with Comedy, Capote and Cranium, it looks I'm kinda jumping ahead a week or two. And I think what this means is that I'll have to fit some Bs into the time allocated for C. Which should work out pretty well, considering my plans for the immediate future.

In other news, the lovely and talented Ah has contributed a t-shirt design to Threadless, a site that accepts submissions of wearable art, then makes and sells those rated highest by site visitors. Click the detail to see the shirt:
Threadless.com Submission - Little Thoughts
If you like the design and want to help her out, you can sign up and rate the shirt anytime in the next 4 days. However, if you then proceed to rate other shirt designs in the running, you may find it to be strangely addictive (and therefore also alarmingly time-consuming, given the number of submissions on any given weekday). You've been warned.

2 comments:

evannichols said...

Well, the Bait-And-Switch wasn't intentional; I'm glad you didn't bail. I liked that during your "Rave" drawing, Dr. M made the same guess two or three times, then asked "Why isn't it Woodstock?" (And for the record, I think that anyone who had been to a rave would have guessed it from your drawing immediately.)

Dave said...

I like that shirt. I would wear it.