Wednesday, January 11, 2006

In Which I Wish I Worked in a Post Office in Ghana.

Archery: check.
I am so out of shape, it's not even funny. Except that it is, actually, pretty funny, to be wiped out after an hour of stretching a few arm/shoulder muscles and strolling back and forth to fetch arrows. Funny enough that I held out for about an hour and a half.

Fletcher wasn't shooting his best either, and toward the end of the session he started talking to himself. He said, "Okay, this is for the big one! The world championship. The other guy missed, so all you have to do is hit the yellow...." There was a lengthy pause as he sighted and aimed juuust right, frowning with concentration, then released the arrow. It hit squarely in the X ring.

"And the crowd goes wild!" I said, throwing my arms into the air.

"The crowd goes wild," he echoed, and grinned.

I should probably mention that Fletcher is actually a world archery champion.

Apples, apricots: check.
Also: Altoids, Ak-mak and Advil!

African music: check.
I listened to Oliver Mtukudzi while washing the dishes. He's from Zimbabwe, so I'll definitely be listening to him next Christmas, when it will be time for Z-themed music. And probably quite a bit between now and then, too. He has a very sweet voice, and his music is very warm and peaceful and joyous -- a good antidote counterpoint to the raucous shake-yer-can street rhythms of Konono No. 1 (which is probably the African band getting the most attention from America at the moment).

If you are ever looking for some good African music (U is for Uganda, Z is for Zaire...), you really can't go wrong with Benn loxo du taccu, an MP3 blog that offers several fresh tunes out of Africa every week (with podcasts, for those who are into that sort of thing). The writing is informative and to the point, and the songs are diverse and unfailingly interesting. It's a different kind of music-making than I'm used to -- longer songs, more repetition -- but it's that very difference that makes it educational.

I didn't get this track there, but it's one of my most interesting MP3 finds in quite a while:

The University of Ghana Post Office - Canceling Stamps

No comments: