Friday, November 25, 2005

In Which Even a Sith Lord Needs a Tray.

I got to talk with an old friend last night, a musician and songwriter who takes his craft very seriously. When I told him about all this noveling stuff, the struggles, lessons, rewards, etc., he could totally relate. One of several wise things he told me was that nothing you create is a waste of time; even if it doesn't come out right, it's still practice, which is valuable in itself.

I knew that, but I think I needed to hear it again. I sort of had the idea that last November's novel was Practice and that this year I would write a Really Awesome Book, but the novel that is emerging from this month looks, again, very much like Practice. Which only means that practice is exactly what I needed.

I'm sitting here next to my sister, who is surfing on a separate computer (we call this "quality time"). She's at comedian Eddie Izzard's site, and she keeps clicking on things with little sound clips attached. So Eddie is saying things like, "This is the home page: Mom, Dad, all that kind of thing," and "If you have broadband, download things now!" She is really, really amused by this, which in turn amuses me.

Oh, now he's doing his Darth Vader bit, and it's making me laugh too hard to write.
[Note: contains vocabulary unsuitable for small children.]

[Edit: corrected italics tags. Again.]

8 comments:

evannichols said...

Ha! That's great! I've seen one of his comedy videos; he's very funny. If I write a whole bunch today, surfing his site would be a grand reward (even though it's tempting to go through it all now).

Dave said...

Eddie Izzard is wonderful. Once November is over I'll loan you the Dress to Kill dvd. It's painfully funny.
Happy final week...

ah said...

For I would hack at your neck with the thin bit until the blood flowed across the canteen floor.

Anonymous said...

Lindsey! Im reading (some of) your blog! I have it bookmarked in my favorites. Ill probably check it every time I dont have email.

I think I could never do this. This blogging thing. I dont know. It doesnt entirely make sense. I can this to the list of things that a lot of people I like like (nominalize the first "like" with "lot of people") and that seems like something I should like because it fits my personality but that for some reason I don't. I now have a trinity: The Matrix, D&D, and blogging. I do like to read em and respond though.

Anonymous said...

oops. Should have previewed it first. Should say "I can ADD this to the list..."

Lindsey said...

josephus: your trinity conclusively proves that you are not a geek.

i hope this doesn't come as a huge disappointment to you.

Anonymous said...

I think you are right, and it is something of an epiphany. I always just assumed that since I wasnt cool (although I've always aspired to be, much like yourself, except I've probably never kept it a secret) that I must be a geek. But I am not. I am something else entirely. Or if not entirely, then mostly.

Anonymous said...

And its not a disappointment, more of a liberation.