Monday, November 21, 2005

In Which I Think Happy Thoughts.

I did, in fact, write over 8000 words this weekend, landing me at a count of 31,459 (63%). Now I am almost back on track. However, I am feeling a little blah today. In order to keep my eyes on the prize, I find it helpful to think about exactly what that prize entails. Here are some fun things that wait for me on the other side of November:

1. Being able to say that I've completed a second novel (which has taken me to new depths of awful prose, clumsy characterization, and tedious passages of interior monologue written blatantly for the purpose of increasing wordcount without having to decide what happens next).
2. Attending the local TGIO (Thank God It's Over!) party, where exhausted and exuberant Wrimos will congratulate one another on their verbosity.
3. Catching up with a number of people I haven't spoken to in the past month.
4. Dusting off my bow and getting back to the archery range.
5. Recreational reading. There's a heap of half-finished books next to my bed. Also, Chesterton's Orthodoxy has been sitting on my coffee table for weeks now. It has a sketch of the author on the cover, and sometimes I could swear the old codger is winking at me.
6. Going out in the evenings... to places that are not coffeeshops or food courts.
7. Finally actually getting a broadband connection at home. My mama will be so proud!
8. A visit to Cosmic Monkey Comics, where I hope to acquire the final collected volume of Y: The Last Man, as well as the first MOME anthology and an odd little book titled Will You Still Love Me If I Wet the Bed? However, frequently when I go to the comic book store intending to buy something, I come back with something very different, so you never know.
9. Resuming my habit of absurdly long phone conversations with Ah.
10. More time for blogging?

[Edit: Blogger won't let me do an ordered list, so I redid it manually.]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats! I'm happy to find this, booksteward.

Dave said...

I cannot wait until December. The party willl be nice. Although I'll hardly be able to say, with a straight face, that I've *completed* anything other than my word count goal. Many revisions ahead, I'm afraid. Sigh.
I too am rather blah today. The no-computer-except-at-night thing is getting me down a bit. It's like one of my children is in the hospital with a sore throat that may or may not develop into complete and terminal bronchitis. I miss it.
But it will be nice to get back to real life a bit, won't it?