Wednesday, November 16, 2005

In Which Someone Else Says "In Which" Too.

I've been keeping an eye on Paul Ford's blog of late. Ford caught my attention after admitting to being the inventor of rock-star-wannabe Gary Benchley, under whose name he had written a series of articles for the Morning News. Benchley's "autobiographical" adventures ranged from the hysterically funny to the really, really disturbing, with ample cleverness in between. Sadly, they eventually tapered down into tedium. Then Benchley announced he was discontinuing the articles because he'd been offered a book contract, and Ford announced he was Benchley.

I find Ford, like Benchley, to be hit and miss. His writing is sometimes outrageously clever, sometimes inspiring, sometimes disgusting, and sometimes it just makes me sad for him. Aside from a refreshing neo-Luddite essay (in which he admitted to using WordPerfect for DOS, which I find oddly endearing), I wasn't all that impressed with his recent output.

But then some low-end business blog (the kind that essentially runs on stolen content) stole one of his images, and his response just about made tea shoot out of my nose.

Note: If you see a word you don't recognize in one of the images, replace it with "much, much worse." It will then communicate the intended message.
More Important Note: I really don't recommend clicking through to see what he did the other time this happened to him (in his final paragraph). Just take his word for it: he's matured since then.

4 comments:

colorfulveggies said...

How interesting to see the progression from immature to practical... And what a great opportunity! I wonder who actually reads B2's blog?

Lindsey said...

Apparently nobody, as his ad is still up the next day. However, if the B2 drones pay any attention to their site traffic, they might notice an unusual amount of visits to that particular page....

Dave said...

Thanks,
I'm still getting the hang of it, but the template is lovely. :)

evannichols said...

That is so funny! It almost makes me wish I was popular enough for someone to hotlink to my images so I could mess with them. I just checked, and his ad is still there. Amazing.