Saturday, November 19, 2005

In Which My Chances of Victory Seem a Little Less Remote.

Last night I figured out that if I could get 2000 words written before bed, and then write 4000 on each remaining day of the month that I don't have to work and 1200 on each day that I do, I'd finish on time, with two whole days free to dedicate to family Thanksgiving activities.

I then proceeded to fall asleep on the couch after only writing about 800 words.

Still! Hope springs eternal in the blah blah blah. Today I already have 3000 words under my belt, I'm about to launch into a scene that could wind up just about anywhere, and it's only 10:30! And I've already had a nap and some caffeine! I am unstoppable.

Besides, I have this lovely, lovely quote from grrlpup to spur me on:

And I will emerge, because there are people ahead of me and people just behind me, and in my mind NaNo is a group of people running pell-mell across the field holding hands. It seems like a stupid way to run, because why would you need to hold hands to run? and some people are ahead and others are lagging behind you, but if you don't let go, you'll get pulled along, and even if your foot lands in a rabbit hole, the others will yank you up and along.

She has totally pegged the NaNo experience. It does seem like a stupid way to run, but all those people really do get you across the field, as long as you don't let go. (I suspect her observation has wider implications as well. Maybe I'll figure that out, someday, when I have time to think again.)

The other encouraging thing I've discovered is that it's a lot easier to move the plot along if, instead of trying to come up with really cool things for your characters to do, you encourage them to do things that are really stupid. Why didn't someone tell me this a long time ago?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stupid things rock!

I have SO many out-takes from my novel last year where my main character was deciding what to do, and reasoning that Option X wouldn't be safe, or smart, or whatever, and would proceed on to boring Option Y.

Two paragraphs later, when I was wondering if this novel could GET any more boring, I'd realize that I was an idiot! It should never occur to her to not do the stupid thing!

And congrats on passing 25K!