Sunday, November 20, 2005

In Which I Am, As Usual, Easily Amused.

Remember when I said I really wanted to add some more water to the Mystical Tree to see if it would grow so top-heavy it would collapse? Well, I was saving this experiment for the 25,000 word mark. But the other night, in a fit of absent-mindedness, I tried to blow some invisible dust off of it. It immediately lost about 1/3 its foliage. When I tried to move it to clean up, it continued dropping greenery at an alarming rate. The stuff was like cotton candy, dissolving at a touch, only into dust instead of stickiness. Oh, well. I shook off the loose bits, which was pretty much all of it, and put more water into the base.

The effect, two days later, is somewhat disappointing. Before, it looked like I'd stolen it from a model train layout (N gauge). Now it looks like a cardboard cutout with some yellowy-green mold on it. Which, I guess, is all it really ever was. But still.

I know this is supposed to be an educational toy, but since it didn't come with any informative material about substances that turn into fuzz as they evaporate, I'm not sure what a kid like me is supposed to learn from the experience. Perhaps one of the following:

1. Mysterious chemicals have mysterious properties.
2. It's November. Trees are getting naked. Peer pressure?
3. I can kill any houseplant if I put my mind to it -- even the ones that aren't alive.
4. Little distractions go a long way when you're supposed to be writing.

Speaking of #4: the box of Christmas decor is still lurking in the bathroom at the coffeeshop.

1 comment:

colorfulveggies said...

As with many skills, procrastination is inherited.