Thursday, November 17, 2005

In Which We Discuss Fame and Anonymity.

Way back in Post the First, I established the following guideline for my blog:
4. I will neutralize any potential negative side effects of blogging by ... avoiding the use of real names, except when discussing Famous People, such as myself. Note: this last part will be extra fun, like writing in code or something.
At this point I would like to clarify my intent in making such a resolution.

The blogosphere is a funny place. Different people interact with it in different ways. Some confide in it, some perform for it, some write only the facts of their own existence, and some invent characters and write about their fictional experiences. However you handle it, the fact remains that when you post something on the internet, you're addressing the entire world. Granted, most of the world isn't listening. But anybody could be (and often is).

I'm a very private person. This blog is, among other things, an attempt to become a little less private, to get used to the idea of sharing my thoughts with the world - both in order to remind myself that my thoughts are worth sharing, and also because it's good practice for publication.

However, as a private person, I respect other people's privacy. Many people, for many reasons, prefer anonymity online. Thus the use of aliases. If you have an anonymous web presence, or no web presence to speak of, it's not my job to change that for you; so you get a Code Name by default. Which is, like I said, Fun.

On the other hand, aliases become sort of pointless if you already blog publicly under your real name, and if your weblog is obviously for public consumption. (I had no idea, when I started this, just how many of these people there were in my circle of acquaintances.) See, in that case, you're already Famous, by my definition. Anybody can google you up and read about your life. Anonymity is obviously not important to you, so I'm not gonna protect you.

Unless, of course, you do or say something I want to blog about, but suspect you would prefer I didn't. Then I'll call you something else.

Probably.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Spider likes his real name.