Tuesday, November 29, 2005

In Which The News Is Only Good.



Yes. I finished Monday night, just before midnight. Thank you, thank you.

It's funny how, once the ol' wordcount passes 50K, everywhere looks like a good place to stop. I think my novel would have benefited from being ended a little more conclusively. But I did finish the story arc, so I'm content. There's always the rewrite for things like that.

And yeah, throughout most of this month I thought this wouldn't even be something I would want to rewrite... but as it all started wrapping up, I realized (to my very great astonishment) that parts of the story actually work pretty well, and that I really like several of my characters, enough to already be wondering about future stories for them to do things in.

It needs a heap of reworking, though. I still don't know exactly what I'll rework it into, since it didn't really turn out like I meant for it to, and I have no idea what it wants to be or how to help it be that. But I can figure that out some other month. In the meantime: No! You can't read it.

But! Many thanks to everyone who heartened me this month with enthusiasm and interest, sympathy and competition, food and companionship, and all other forms of encouragment. It wouldn't have been any fun without you.

Also! I tested negative for strep throat, and am feeling well enough today that I will probably actually have to go back to work tomorrow. I guess a full week of Thanksgiving vacation is probably about as much as anybody can expect to get away with.

And! Since a blog post wouldn't be complete without some kind of link, I leave you with the promise of snacks:

Andrew Bird - Tables and Chairs

5 comments:

Jason Hill said...

Congratulations, my friend. I am proud of your accomplishment. Be sure to treat yourself to something celebratory--you deserve it.

Dave said...

Yay to you too! I know what you mean about crossing the 50K line. After passing it, I wrote a mere 12 words and decided it was done. And I also see tons of potential for reworking and revising, but not for a few weeks at least.

evannichols said...

Congratulations, again! Nice to hear that you like your story and characters enough to consider revisions, even if it didn't turn out as expected. Got many umlauts in this one? ;-)

Glad it's not strep! See you at the TGIO?

Kristi said...

Congrats, Lindsey! That's a huge accomplishment for which you should feel very proud (or should I say "in which...").

PJS said...

Awesome! What a trek eh? I knew ya would finnish in time. Now... (dun dun dun) editing! (Is that with one t or two?)